Dairy-Free Mac and “Cheese”
Time: 40 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- In a medium saucepan add 2 to 3 cups of water. Peel and cut the sweet potato into cubes. Bring to a boil and add sweet potato cubes. Cook for 15 minutes or until they are soft and tender. Set aside.
- Cook the brown rice macaroni according to package instructions. Don’t forget to rinse the pasta under cold water after straining to avoid overcooking and clumping.
- While pasta is cooking, make cauliflower rice by adding cauliflower florets into a blender. Pulse until you have a rice-like consistency, about 4 pulses. Set aside 1 cup of cauliflower rice. You can save any remaining rice in the fridge for another recipe.
- Rinse blender.
- Add sweet potato, cashews, lemon juice, red onion, nutritional yeast, hemp hearts, olive oil, water, and salt to a blender. Blend until you have a smooth sauce-like mixture. Set aside.
- To assemble, mix macaroni and “cheese” sauce in a large bowl. Transfer to an oiled casserole dish.
- Add cauliflower rice, breadcrumbs, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder to a medium bowl and stir to combine. Sprinkle evenly over the macaroni.
- Bake for 15 minutes until browned on top. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy with your favourite salad.
Laura Spencer is one of Nature’s Fare Markets’ vitamin specialists and a passionate foodie. She believes we can be as happy, healthier, and fulfilled as we allow ourselves to be. As a certified Holistic Nutritional Consultant, she works with people to help them achieve a healthy lifestyle by focusing on modifying behaviours and eating habits that are not working.
@bonfirenutrition | bonfirenutrition.ca