Classic Roast Turkey
When selecting the size, estimate 1 pound per dinner guest.
If using a frozen turkey, thaw prior to cooking. Never pre-stuff the turkey and allow it to sit over night, as this promotes bacteria growth in the stuffing.
- Preheat oven to 325° F (175° C).
- Remove the giblets (save for gravy or stuffing if desired).
- Rinse the bird inside and out with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- If you are stuffing the bird, stuff it loosely. Use about ½-¾ cup stuffing per pound of turkey.
- Brush the skin with melted butter or oil.
- Tie drumsticks together with string (stuffed turkey only). Tuck tips of wings under the back of the turkey.
- Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh. The thermometer should point towards the body and not touch the bone.
- Place turkey breast side up on the rack in a roasting pan.
- Cover with foil and place into the preheated oven.
- Use the following chart to estimate the time required for baking.
|Weight of Turkey||Roasting Time
|10 – 18 lbs||3 – 3½ hrs||3½ – 4½ hrs|
|18 – 22 lbs||3½ – 4 hrs||4½ – 5 hrs|
|22 – 24 lbs||4 – 4½ hrs||5 – 5½ hrs|
- Remove the foil during the last 30-60 minutes of cooking and drizzle pan juices over top.
- The turkey is done when the internal temperature reaches 165° F (75° C) at the thigh.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- Remove stuffing from the turkey.
- Carve and serve.