Double Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
Olive oil and chocolate? Crazy as it sounds, it’s a match made in heaven.February is Heart Month and Valentine’s Day too of course, not that anybody needs a reason to bake a chocolate cake! This perfectly moist cake is full of heart-healthy extra virgin olive oil (it has the most antioxidants of all the olive oils) and hemp seeds filled with omega-3 fats that are also amazing for the ticker.It also happens to be dairy free for those avoiding dairy.Top a slice with a dollop of coconut whip to take it to a whole new level.I promise it will be love at first bite!
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease and flour a 9″ round or heart shaped pan of the same size.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, hemp seeds, chocolate chucks, and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk, olive oil, eggs, honey, vanilla and almond extract until well combined.
- Scrape the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula and whisk together until well combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and invert onto a cooling rack.
- Serve with a dollop of coconut whip topping and large flaked coconut if desired.
Tori is a Registered Dietitian and self-proclaimed foodie. Her nutrition philosophy embraces moderation and quality without deprivation. She started up Fraîche Nutrition on a whim in August 2014, inspired to help share her love of food and educate others on simple healthy eating at the same time. Tori believes that food and nutrition has become overly complicated, and hopes to help others live healthier lives one wholesome recipe at a time.