Green Bean Mushroom Casserole with Crunchy Onion Topping
- Rinse and drain the soaked cashews. Add to a blender with water or coconut milk and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Prepare the Crunchy Onion Topping: Heat oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 to 7 minutes until they turn golden brown and translucent. Add a splash of water if they start sticking to the pan. Add turmeric, sesame seeds, chopped cashews, and sea salt. Mix and set aside.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes until all juices are released and mushrooms brown.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add garlic, thyme, and a splash of water, and stir for another minute.
- Add the green beans and vegetable stock or water, season with sea salt and pepper, cover, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until beans are tender but not too soft and mushy. Stir in the cashew sauce and mix to fully combine.
- Pour the mixture into a casserole dish, top with the crunchy onion topping, and place in the oven on broil for about 4 minutes until slightly brown on top (optional). Let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes and enjoy!
Mitra Shir is a nutritionist and foodie who aims to inspire people to prioritize their health and nutrition. Find her simple, tasty recipes on instagram: @nutriholist