Vegan Mushroom & Leek Quiche
Time to prepare: 25 minutes
Time to bake: 45 minutes
Pie Crust Directions
- Combine the brown rice flour, oat flour, arrowroot starch, sugar, salt and psyllium husk powder in a food processor with an S blade. Pulse to mix together.
- Cut the cold butter into 1-inch pieces then add to the food processor. Pulse until the butter is mostly incorporated.
- Stream in 4 tbsp of ice water. If the batter is still crumbly add in another tbsp of ice water.
- Remove the dough from the food processor. Using your hands, shape the dough into a round disc shape. Wrap in a beeswax wrap or plastic wrap and place in the fridge for one hour.
- After one hour, before rolling it out, let it sit on the counter for at least 10 minutes.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add 2 tsp of oil to the pan.
- Wash and finely chop the leek. Wash the mushrooms, remove the stems and thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Add the leek to the hot pan and let sauté for a few minutes. Then add the sliced mushrooms.
- Chop the garlic and add to the pan once the mushrooms have started to brown.
- Add the fresh thyme, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast to the pan. Cook for 1 minute, then remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- At this point, begin to roll out the dough. Place one piece of parchment paper on the counter and sprinkle brown rice flour on top. Place the dough down and place another piece of parchment paper on top of the dough. Begin to roll the dough in between the two pieces of parchment paper with a rolling pin. Roll the dough into a circular shape about ⅛” thick.
- Transfer the crust dough to a lightly greased 9” circular tart pan. If the dough cracks during the transfer process, just gently use your fingers to touch it up. Press the dough up the sides of the tart pan and firmly into the base.
- Bake the tart for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tart from the oven after 5 minutes. Add the mushroom mixture to the tart and evenly spread the mushrooms around. Shake the Just Egg bottle well and then add the liquid to the mushrooms in the tart. Using a fork, evenly distribute the Just Egg and mushrooms around the tart. Then place back into the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the Just Egg is solid in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before removing the tart from the pan.
- Option to top with green onion, sautéed mushrooms and vegan parmesan.
Recipe was published in The Good Life magazine
Robin is the creator of the blog Greens, Eggs and Yams. Her passion is creating vegan and gluten-free foods that don’t compromise on taste. She loves being in the kitchen, creating recipes that everybody can enjoy!