- Preheat oven to 350F
- Thinly slice “bacon” (best to use a mandoline if you have one). If using zucchini or eggplant cut to about 1/8-1/4 inch think. For other “bacons”, cut slightly thinner about 1/6-1/8 inch thick.
- Brush a sheet pan with a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Combine remaining vegetable oil, maple syrup and liquid smoke in a small bowl.
- Lay “bacon” in a single layer on the sheet pan. Brush the top layer with the oil mixture and season generously with salt and pepper. Don’t skimp on the salt – good bacon is always salty.
- Bake for 10 minutes and brush with more oil mixture. Then carefully flip bacon using a thin metal spatula. Brush “bacon” with remaining oil mixture and season again with salt and pepper.
- Bake another 5-15 minutes depending on desired doneness. When deciding on when to take “bacon” out of the oven keep in mind the “bacon” will crisp up more once it sits for a few minutes.
Approximate Cooking Times:
- Mushrooms: 15-20 minutes total
- Zucchini:15-25 minutes total
- Eggplant: 15-25 minutes total
- Tofu: 15-20 minutes total
- Tempeh: 15-20 minutes total
- Carrots: 10-25 minutes total
Check out Vega for more vegan nutrition and meal ideas!