Sweet Potato Nachos
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss rounds with avocado oil, grapeseed oil, or any oil that’s safe for high heat; use coconut oil in a pinch, but I would recommend using refined for less of a coconut flavour.
- Sprinkle the sweet potato rounds with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix them around to coat with the spices and put them in the oven.
- Lay rounds flat on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 19 minutes. Flip the sweet potato chips once during baking. Broil for 1 minute to crisp them up, but keep a close on eye them so they don’t burn. As soon as they’re crispy (they will not continue to crisp once you add the toppings), pull the sweet potato chips out of the oven.
- Make the black bean mixture by rinsing and draining the black beans. Combine with garlic powder, chili powder, and ground cumin.
- For the vegan cheese, I recommend using the Hot For Food nacho vegan cheese recipe, but if you don’t have the ingredients I have also used this alternate vegan cheese recipe. Bring medium-sized saucepan to medium heat. Melt vegan butter. Add the vegan cheese, the non-dairy milk, and nutritional yeast. Stir on medium-low heat for 5 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Top the sweet potato rounds with black beans and vegan cheese and put back in oven for 5-10 minutes until the vegan cheese is melty.
- Once the cheese is melty and warm, pull the pan out again and transfer to a plate or serving platter. Or, you can eat them straight out of the pan but be careful since it’ll be hot! Then top them with whatever you choose. I like adding jalapeños, sliced avocado, diced red onion, fresh cilantro, salsa, and vegan sour cream.
The best part about these sweet potato nachos is that you can eat them without feeling like you need to follow up with fifteen salads and green juice for the rest of your life. These are veggie-LOADED, so say hello to black beans, sweet potato, avocado, jalapeños, etc. I can promise you will LOVE all the jazzy flavours while keeping things nutritious as a bonus!
Bailey Campbell has a passion to inspire others to fuel their bodies with great tasting food and make you feel your best! She doesn’t believe there is a “perfect” diet for everyone; she believes in balance and finding what works best for you and hopes to inspire you to live your healthiest, best life!! @basicwithbails