Sunday’s Brunch Eggs Benny
Time: 40- 45 minutes
- Cut the plantain into 2 inch slices.
- Heat avocado oil in a cast iron pan over medium heat.
- Add plantains and cook about 5 minutes on each side. Transfer plantains to a cutting board. Use the base of a mug or plate to press each plantain to about ¼ inch thick.
- Return plantains to frying pan and cook for another 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- For the avocado cilantro sauce, place avocado, ice cubes, lime juice, hemp hearts, and cilantro in a food processor. Blend until creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste. You can add 1 tsp of water to reach your desired consistency.
- How you cook the eggs is up to you. You can simply fry the eggs frying pan sunny side up. Or, if you would prefer poached, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add sea salt and vinegar. Carefully stir the water with a spoon to create a whirlpool. Gently add one egg into the center of the whirlpool. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes then use a slotted spoon to remove the egg onto a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat for the rest of the eggs. Set aside.
- To assemble, place a few flattened plantains on a plate, layer an egg and any of the toppings you desire finishing with a drizzle of the avocado cilantro sauce. Serve with a side of mixed greens. Enjoy!
Laura Spencer is one of Nature’s Fare Markets’ vitamin specialists and a passionate foodie. She believes we can be as happy, healthier, and fulfilled as we allow ourselves to be. As a certified Holistic Nutritional Consultant, she works with people to help them achieve a healthy lifestyle by focusing on modifying behaviours and eating habits that are not working.
@bonfirenutrition | bonfirenutrition.ca