Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place ½ cup of cashews in a bowl and cover with water for 1 hour or cover with boiling hot water for 20 minutes.
- Wash, scrub and dry the sweet potatoes and poke a few holes in each side of each potato with a fork. Lightly coat the sweet potatoes in oil using a brush or just your hands (roughly 1 tsp divided between 4 potatoes). Place on the baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and rinse 1 can of chickpeas. Then pat them dry. Toss the chickpeas in 2 tsp of oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Once the sweet potatoes have baked for 15 minutes add the chickpeas to the baking sheet (spacing everything out nicely). Cook the chickpeas for 30-35 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- While the chickpeas and sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the kale. Finely chop the kale (removing the leaves from the stem) and toss it in ½-1 tsp of oil. Heat a small pan over medium-low heat on the stove. Once hot, add in the kale. Toss the kale often so it doesn’t burn. Add in ¼ tsp of red pepper flakes. Cook the kale until it is crisp but still green- roughly 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Chop up the green onion and set aside.
- Prepare the sour cream. Drain the water from the cashews and add all the ingredients for the sour cream to a high-speed blender. This works best in a cup-attachment blender. Blend until smooth. If you want the sour cream thinner, add an additional 1-2 tbsp of water.
- To assemble: cut the sweet potatoes in half and fluff up the inside with a fork. Divide the kale and chickpeas evenly between the sweet potatoes and top with the sour cream. Garnish with the green onion and lime wedges. Best enjoyed fresh.
Bio: Robin is the creator of the blog Greens, Eggs, and Yams. Her passion is creating vegan and gluten free foods that don’t compromise on taste. She loves being in the kitchen, creating recipes that everybody can enjoy! https://www.greenseggsandyams.com/ IG: @greeneggsandyams