Roast the Perfect Turkey
STEP 1: Brine (do this step one day ahead)
- One day before roasting turkey, add 1 litre of water, salt, sugar, peppercorns, and bay leaves to a medium pot. Bring to a boil. Pour the liquid into the remaining 5 litres of water and let cool in the fridge.
- Once the liquid is cold, submerge the thawed turkey in the brine 10–12 hours in the fridge.
STEP 2: Stuff
- Melt butter in a large pan.
- Add onions and celery. Sauté until they start to soften.
- Add garlic and herbs, cook until aromatic.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Add the bread cubes, apples, salt, and pepper to a large bowl and pour in the liquid mixture. Toss to combine.
- Loosely fill the cavity of the turkey.
STEP 3: Roast
- Remove turkey from brine about an hour before cooking and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 425˚F.
- Place turkey in a roasting pan, breast side up. Add some roughly chopped vegetables like carrots, onion, and celery as a “bed” for the bird. This will help flavour the drippings for gravy.
- Loosely cover with foil and place in the oven.
- After 30 minutes, reduce heat to 350˚F.
- Baste the bird once every hour.
- Remove foil after 2 ½ hours, or until there is about ½ of cooking remaining.
- Roast until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 170˚F, about 3 hours.
- Transfer turkey to a serving platter and let rest 20–30 minutes covered before carving.