Plant-based “Salmon” Lox & Charcuterie
- Place carrots and 1 tsp of salt into a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil for 5-10 mins, or until fork-tender, but not mushy. They should hold their shape.
- Transfer carrots to ice-cold water immediately. Allow to cool for 2 minutes, then gently place onto a wire cooling rack to drip dry.
- Meanwhile, in a container or small bowl, whisk together hot water, nori, caper brine, rice vinegar, miso paste, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic powder, and olive oil. Set aside.
- Using a very sharp knife, slice the dry carrots lengthwise, alternating between thin strips and sashimi-style sushi pieces, and place into the marinade.
- Marinate in the fridge for a few hours – overnight is best. The longer the carrots marinate, the more they will acquire the texture and consistency of lox.
- When you’re ready to serve, remove the carrot lox from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature.
- Arrange the carrot lox, crackers or bagels, cheese, and other toppings fresh ingredients on a serving tray in a charcuterie style.