Kale Breakfast Skillet Pie
- Preheat the oven to 400°F .
Combine the shredded potato with the salt in a fine sieve or colander and let it drain for at least an hour. Press the extra water out of the potatoes and press between a clean dish towel or paper towel to remove the last bit of water. Add the egg and pepper and mix well. Set aside.
- Using a pastry brush, use 2 tablespoons of olive oil to evenly coat cast iron pan. Press the potato mixture evenly into the bottom and sides of the pan. Bake until the edges are golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and reduce the heat to 375°F.Set aside.
- While the potato crust is baking, whisk the eggs together with cream in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, stirring until it is fragrant and transparent. Add the kale and continue to stir until the kale is wilted but still bright green, approximately 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Evenly sprinkle 1 cup of the gouda cheese over the potato crust. Spread the kale mixture on over the cheese and pour the egg mixture over it all. Bake until the egg is a light golden brown and is set (doesn’t jiggle when moved), about 30 minutes. Heat the oven to broil. Sprinkle the remaining gouda cheese over the skillet pie and broil until the cheese is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired, and serve.
Tori is a Registered Dietitian and self-proclaimed foodie. Her nutrition philosophy embraces moderation and quality without deprivation. She started up Fraîche Nutrition on a whim in August 2014, inspired to help share her love of food and educate others on simple healthy eating at the same time. Tori believes that food and nutrition has become overly complicated, and hopes to help others live healthier lives one wholesome recipe at a time.