Jillian Harris: Vegan Bolognese
The transition to going plant-based isn’t easy and at times I feel like the odd man out, it’s by far the biggest sacrifice I’ve ever made in my life but one that I am SO proud of. Some days I feel like yelling “LOOK MA! NO MEAT” hahah!! Every day I make new and exciting choices and find alternatives that I am proud of. Last night I turned my FAVOURITE bolognese into a vegan version and even made an amazing vegan version of Justin’s Cesar salad dressing! We both LOVED it and I was beaming all night!!
- In a large frying pan with a splash of olive oil cook the onion, mushrooms, celery and carrots until soft and translucent
- Add tomato paste, garlic, fennel, oregano, and thyme. Cook until pan starts to brown. Deglaze with 1/2 cup of dry white wine. Let simmer on medium while you get to the next step!
- In one large stock pot add large can of diced tomatoes, vegetable stock, nutritional yeast and vegetable mixture.
- SIMMER ON LOW/ MEDIUM for about 30 minutes and at this point cook your pasta! I love regular spaghetti but a rigatoni would do.
- Add parsley, salt & pepper, and the vinegar (the vinegar is very important as it helps brighten the flavours).
- In the end, add the cashew cream or almond milk!
I always like serving pasta or spaghetti with a salad … my favourite is with Justin’s Kale Caesar. I recently made it vegan and it was SO good Justin didn’t even know the difference.
Photo and article from Jillian Harris.