Joyous Health: Gluten-free Chocolate Quinoa Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 9″ springform pan or a 9″ square pan.
- Combine the milk, eggs and vanilla in a food processor. Add 2 cups of cooked quinoa, maple syrup and the cooled melted coconut oil and continue to blend until smooth.
- Combine together in a medium bowl the coconut sugar, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix well. Add this mixture to the food processor and mix just until blended.
- Stir in dried cranberries.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Place on the middle rack in the oven. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a cake tester or a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. If using a convection oven bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool completely before serving. When cool sprinkle toasted coconut flakes on top (instructions below). Delicious served plain or with some vanilla ice cream.
- Will keep in the fridge for up to one week or can be frozen and enjoyed at any time.
Notes: If cooking quinoa, 2/3 cup dry with 1 1/3 cup water yields approximately 2 cups. Don’t worry if it is off a smidgen.
- Spread coconut on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350F degrees for a couple of minutes.
- Watch carefully because it turns golden brown VERY quickly!
Photo and recipe from Joy McCarthy.