For almost two million years, humans have been surviving and thriving by making the most of our environment. It has always been nature providing the best fuel on the planet to feed us and help us evolve, and for some reason so many have forgotten that. We live in a society that values food that is easy, fast, and able to sit on a shelf for years. We have created a world of food that is full of preservatives, hormones, pesticides, herbicides, artificial sweeteners, processed ingredients, and often food that is a product of genetic modifications.
One of the stars in the all-natural, paleo super food movement is bone broth. Bone broths, made from a variety of animal sources (beef, chicken, pork, fish, etc.) were, for our ancestors, a way of allowing them to use and benefit from all parts of the animals that provided them with sustenance. By boiling the parts of the animals that they couldn’t traditionally eat, they were able to extract an amazing amount of nutrition. Broths are packed with collagen protein, amino acids, and minerals that are easily absorbed in our bodies. Many broths contain nutrients like calcium, magnesium, sulfur, silicon, and phosphorus, and are able to help address some of North America’s top nutritional deficiencies. Bone broth even contains glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate…things most of us have paid good money for at the supplement store!
Why Do We Care About Collagen?
- It comprises 30% of all the protein in your body, and 70% of the protein in your skin.
- It is the “scaffolding” for cells, tissues, and organs, and is responsible for the strength, flexibility, and elasticity of all tissues.
- As we age, collagen production decreases significantly, leading to weaker and less elastic skin, blood vessels, ligaments, muscles, and tendons. This leads to tearing injuries, wrinkles, hardened blood vessels, and digestive issues.
- When extracted naturally through simmering bones, the collagen (in the form of gelatin) is more pure, more potent, and more easily absorbed in our bodies.
Even though everyone’s grandma knows it’s a miracle elixir, researchers had a look at the components of bone broth and discovered that when collagen is broken down (into “gelatin”) by simmering in water for an extended period of time, the factors that are released can benefit our bodies in countless ways. That gelatin and all the other nutrients cannot be found in the shelf-stable “flavour” broths currently available in grocery stores.
So What’s the Catch?
For those who have tried to make their own broth, the answer to that question is obvious! Making broth is extremely labour-intensive, time consuming, and it can sure stink up the house pretty quickly! Luckily the skilled “brothistas” at Boned, A Broth Company have taken all the hassle out of it. Their broths are made with the highest quality grass-fed beef bones, free-range chicken bones, and both are free of antibiotics, hormones, GMOs, and gluten. Boasting the highest protein levels (57 grams in the 500 mL beef broth!) in the entire functional beverage category, and using only the highest quality ingredients, Boned is blazing a trail across Canada with their delicious and craveable broths. Made fresh in small batches, and flash frozen to maintain optimal freshness, you can warm it up and drink it out of your favourite mug, or you can make it part of an amazing recipe. Sip it or soup it!
Why Bone Broth? Lots of potential benefits:
- Works in an anti-inflammatory capacity
- Faster recovery from injury and sport
- Decreases in food allergies and sensitivities (such as gluten and lactose)
- Reduces symptoms of digestive disorders (such as leaky gut, IBS, Crohn’s, reflux)
- Promotes proper probiotic balance in the digestive system
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles
- Promotes proper bone density and strength
- Promotes healthy skin, hair, and nails
Follow Boned Broth
for more info and great recipe ideas.