There has tended to be a general “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” attitude toward men’s health care, often with prevention taking a back burner. Thankfully, this trend is changing for the better and men are beginning to take the initiative in their wellness plan. Here are some daily habits that can be adjusted to help ensure a healthier future.
Increase complex carbs and decrease sugar.
Not only is a diet high in sugars and simple carbs lacking in vitamins, minerals, and fibres, it also causes drastic fluctuations in blood sugar. Increased blood sugar levels can cause a lack of consistent energy, weight gain, and increased risk of diabetes. Try to replace high sugar and carb items with whole grains, fibre-rich foods, and more natural sugars that have a lower glycemic index. Start simple, by swapping out one item a month and building from there.
Increase good fats.
Even though we now know that fat doesn’t make you fat, you still need to focus on eliminating “bad” fats. Avoid eating trans-fats found in fried foods, and hydrogenated oils, and work on increasing “good” fats such as coconut oil, olive oil, and omega-3 essential fatty acids that help improve overall wellness, decrease weight, and protect the cardiovascular system.
Protect testosterone levels.
If you are over 40 it is important for you to pay attention to your testosterone levels. Lower testosterone levels can lead to a number of health-related issues such as decreased stamina, erectile issues, depression, weight gain, and loss in muscle and bone density. Increasing physical activity, especially weightlifting and resistance training, will give the body a boost in testosterone. Also, including a supplement that is aimed at balancing hormones and reducing stress is essential.
It’s not news that stress can lead to a number of health issues including high blood pressure, poor sleep, inflammation, and depression. It is important to incorporate stress busting practices into your daily routine—increase physical activity, keep your liver healthy, get a good night’s sleep, reduce alcohol, and practice mindful deep breathing.
Talk it out.
It’s important for men to notice small changes in their overall wellness and talk about it early with their health care provider. Also, working on increasing relationships with friends and family will help build a support system to fully enjoy life, reduce stress, and have a sounding board for whatever life may throw your way.
Essential Supplements for Men’s Health
- Multivitamin: Taking a daily whole food-based multivitamin and mineral is an insurance policy for maintaining good health.
- Omega-3: Increasing the intake of omega-3 improves cardiovascular function, mental health, digestion, and joint health.
- Fibre: A daily intake of at least 30 grams of fibre is recommended for optimal digestion and detoxification.
- Probiotics: 85% of a person’s immune system lives in the digestive tract. Probiotics help boost good bacteria, therefore boosting immunity and nutrient absorption.
- Prostate Formula: Prevention is key! Men over the age of 35 should consider including a basic prostate care formula.
- Hormonal Balance Formula: This helps maintain and restore testosterone levels by reducing the buildup of “fake” estrogens and reducing inflammation.