Letter By the Monahan’s, Co-owners of Nature’s Fare Markets
Dear valued Customers
Our father started this business over 25 years ago with a belief that a business can be built by doing the right thing—in the healthy, organic food we sell, for the people who work with us, and for the communities we serve. And we’re proud to say that with the unrelenting support and encouragement of our farmers and suppliers, our customers and community, we’ve created a place we’re very proud to call home.
That journey hasn’t always been easy—but it never ceased to be worthwhile.
One of our core values has always been sustainability and we’ve done everything we can along the way to leave as small a footprint as possible.
- We were one of the first companies to offer biodegradable shopping bags.
- When potato-based single-use cutlery became available, we rushed out to get it for our Bistros.
- We’ve always recycled and looked for ways to be energy-efficient.
- We have just become the first and only company in Canada to offer compostable produce bags.
- And, of course, we’ve always supported local, organic farmers first—champions of superior soil quality in which our food grows.
And now it’s time to do more. We know our climate has reached a tipping point; our family wants to make sure we are doing everything we can—our very best—for our family and yours, and for our planet.
This is challenging work—and frustrating. We often identify an action—like using compostable packaging and industrial composting—only to discover that the best options aren’t readily available in Canada or they are prohibitively expensive, or that our regional area doesn’t offer the industrial composting services that we need.
But there’s so much we can do. So, we wanted you to know about our commitment to sustainability, to report back to you about what we have done and plan to do.
To be successful, we need your help and your partnership. So, on behalf of all of us here at Nature’s Fare Markets, we invite you to join us in our sustainability journey.
Claire & Alexa Monahan
Upping the Ante: Our Sustainability Committee — The Green Team
To make sure every aspect of our operations is considered, we formed a sustainability committee. Our CEO, a member of the Monahan family, Directors of Operations and Marketing, our Corporate Chef, and Corporate Bistro Manager meet regularly with the sole purpose of identifying, understanding, and implementing everything we can to put sustainability first.
We looked at what we produce, where we buy our products, and the carbon footprint for every store, including the waste we produce and that leaves our store.
Counting on Our Customers
“It really takes an effort to do what needs to be done—we know it’s not easy.”
We want to make it as easy as possible for all of us to succeed, to be sustainably successful. Here is our invitation to you
- Bring your own clean cups for smoothies, juices, and coffee for 10 cents off.
- Bring your own bags. For each one, we’ll donate five cents to the Nature Conservancy of Canada.
- Say “no thanks” to a lid for your smoothies.
- Ask for a “to-stay” cup if consuming in the store.
- Choose to use “to-stay” cutlery and dishware when consuming food in-store.
- Choose a paper straw.