VERNON, BC – Recognized for our commitment to healthy foods, community and the environment, Nature’s Fare Markets has just been awarded the 2016 Public Health Association of BC (PHABC) Healthy Corporate Citizen Award.
“We are particularly thrilled to be recognized for our mission to celebrate natural, organic and healthy lifestyles,” said Claire Volpatti, owner of Nature’s Fare Markets. “We take sustainability – one of our core values – very much to heart, and consider our footprint in every decision we make.”
“We are so pleased to recognize Nature’s Fare Markets,” says PHABC’s President Paola Ardiles, “who clearly demonstrate a broad and comprehensive commitment to promote health – not just through the products and services they produce and provide, market, and sell, but through their involvement in shaping society through their increasing dominance in the social, political and economic life of our communities.”
Okanagan School of Business Professor Roger Wheeler – who teaches sustainability to Bachelor of Business Administration degree students – spearheaded the nomination. “I’m quite aware of Nature’s Fare Market’s excellent policies, programs and practices,” he stated, “and believe that the company is very deserving of this award.”
Nature’s Fare Markets strives to continually improve its sustainability initiatives, to empower:
- Great wages and store discounts
- Compensation towards health-related training tuition, and free monthly health-related training seminars
- Paid time to volunteer in the community.
- Support for hundreds of community-based organizations and sports team with in-kind and cash donations
- 3% Club: Annual donations to an organization’s charity of choice, totalling 3% of thier store receipts
- Food Bank donation every time a customer brings their own bag
- Brilliant Brains Club: Monthly treat for students, to reward daily reading, through local schools.
- A Climate Smart Certified Business
- Reduced garbage output with in-store composting systems, given to local farmers to feed animals
- Energy-efficient equipment, fixtures and energy efficient lighting systems
- Use of Sustainable Forest Initiative-approved recycled paper, and soy-based inks and dyes.
Only 100% Organic Produce, Local in Season
- A proud partner of the Certified Organic Association of BC to promote organic farming using only naturally sourced fertilizers, and no chemical pesticides, herbicides and insecticides
- Support for local organic farmers who improve soil quality, and minimize impact on local ecosystems
Nature’s Fare Markets is an ethical grocery store full of the best, handpicked natural and organic foods, vitamins and supplements we can find. BC family-owned, we really care about our products, our people and our planet – and proudly serve customers in Kamloops, Kelowna, Langley, Vernon, Penticton, West Kelowna, and White Rock. Proud to be voted BC’s Healthiest Natural Food Store, and the First Canadian retailer to become B Corp Certified.