Mama’s Chicken Soup
- Wash one whole chicken and place in a huge pot.
- Cut and add 2 parsnips, 2 carrots, 2 celery, 4 garlic cloves, 2 bunches of fresh herbs (dill and parsley), and 2 onions halved. Put a clove in the center of each onion.
- Cover with water. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 hours.
- Remove chicken and veggies from pot. You will have a clear broth.
- Shred chicken and set aside. It should be fully cooked.
- Mash veggies through a strainer back into the pot.
- Add your choice of veggies – like carrots, celery, broccoli, peas, corn, spinach, chard, kale, potatoes.
- Add your choice of grains or pasta, if desired – like barley, macaroni or quinoa.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.