It’s beach day, and while every family enjoys heading to the beach in the summer, let’s face it – packing up to head to the beach with the whole family can be a nightmare! As Moms, most of us are responsible for the organizing: making sure enough towels are packed, the beach blanket is ready to go, the sunscreen, the kids’ hats, the cooler (that is always messy and sticky from the last use…sigh), the beach toys, the floaties, and of course the FOOD!
As a kid I remember beach days with my parents, and even though I have never been a big eater, for some reason, the beach snacks/lunch was one of the best parts of going to the beach for me. Maybe it’s the fresh air, the water, the running around, I can tell you that as a Mom now, my boys feel the exact same way!
Today I am sharing with you some of my family’s favourite lunch and snack items to bring to the beach and they are all available at our local Nature’s Fare Markets store. I’m also tucking in a few other must-have beach friendly items!
- Fruit salad – This month is the perfect time to cut up some fresh cherries, peaches, strawberries, watermelon and blueberries into one delicious fruit salad to take with you.
Chop up, throw it all into a large Tupperware bowl with a lid and serve when needed. We bring plastic re-usable cups for the kids to scoop up their fruit and eat with re-usable fork.
- Wraps – Fill up any tortilla with a mix of veggies, meat + veggies, or even hummus for a quick lunch OR cut rolled up tortillas into thin slices for a delicious, quick and easy snack! Add you favourite dressing to these wraps to make them extra special for your family! They each have their own preference…I know!
Tip: Wrap in parchment first, then foil to keep fresh!
Tip#2: If you live close to a Nature’s Fare Markets that has a BISTRO have them do the work for you and choose from a huge list of lunch-to-go options!
- Snacks – Glutino Pretzels (Gluten Free), Hippie Chips (Gluten Free), Kettle Popcorn – White Cheddar + Siracha are our fave (Gluten Free), and KIND bars (Gluten Free) are a few of our “junk food” items to pack along with us.
Tip: We throw each of these items into large zip lock bag before leaving home to keep sand from getting in.
- Cup of veggies! Take any plastic cup (or re-useable is even better) and load up the bottom of each cup with your family’s favourite dressing (My family is currently obsessed with the Maple & Dijon dressing by Maison Orphee – Gluten Free).Then stack thin slices of your family favourite veggies (Cucumber, carrots, celery, red/green/yellow peppers).
- Ener-C – Stay hydrated and replenish your family throughout the day with Ener-C. “Ener-C is a natural fruit flavoured vitamin C focused vitamin drink mix” You can grab individual packs and add to your water bottles throughout the day.
Beach time is about the only time I have been able to read this summer. Nature’s Fare Markets has a great selection of books and magazines. Try picking up a few of my picks below…and don’t forget to pick up the latest issue of the Good Life Magazine while you’re there, and of course the latest copy of BOOMBALOO.
- Grow, Cook, Eat: A Food Lover’s Guide to Vegetable Gardening by Willi Galloway
- Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back To Health by William Davis
- Whole Foods To Thrive: Nutrient-dense Plant-based Recipes For Peak Health by Brendan Brazier
- Feed Your Face: Younger, Smoother Skin and a Beautiful Body in 28 Delicious Days by Jessica Wu
- A Smart Women’s Guide to Hormones by Lorna Vanderhaeghe
Sun tan lotions:
Putting harmful chemicals on my kids is not an option for me, which is why I am so grateful for the huge selection of Sun Tan Lotions available at NFM’s for the whole family.
- Green Beaver KIDS SPF 27 Spray
- Kiss My Face SPF 30
- ALBA BOTANICA SPF 40 Sports Spray
- ALBA BOTANICA SPF 40 Facial
- Derma-e Antioxidant Natural Sunscreen Body Lotion SPF 30
- Baby wipes – If we have met, you know I carry these wherever we go! They are perfect for sticky hands, wiping up messes, and taking to the bathroom! Try, Aleva Naturals Bamboo Baby Wipes.
- Portable first aid kit –Make your own by putting together a few key items: Try picking up Global Goddess Aromatherapy Buggly Itch After Bite Care, this blend of essential oils can help you address both inflammation and irritation from those pesky bites! Next, bandaids (a variey of sizes is best) and don’t forget to pick up a bottle of Derma Med All Purpose Ointment for those unexpected rashes and/or hives. For when the sun starts to go down. Try, Jardine Naturals “Don’t Bite Me!” Bug Repellant. You will be so glad you did!
Now that you’re ready to go, we’ll see ya at the beach! I’d get going though, parking space is the next nightmare you will have to face! EEK!
If you have any beach friendly lunch or snack ideas, we would love to hear from you! Leave your comments below….
Happy Beach Days!
Wife, Mom, and Founder + Creative Director at BOOMBALOO
“A Media Company for the Modern Family”.