Walrus, chevron, handlebar, pencil, horseshoe, cowboy, Fu Manchu or Dali – believe it or not, moustaches are a growing fashion trend. And what better time (and excuse) to try your style than Movember? 30 whole days in November to go a little wild – and raise money to support men’s physical and mental health issues.
Much needed, according to Movember Canada, because men are less likely to look after themselves by seeing a doctor – 24%, in fact – and die, on average, six years earlier than women. Prostate cancer is the mostly commonly diagnosed, and testicular cancer is now the most common cancer in men 15-29 years old.
Funds raised in Canada are exclusively spent or committed to Canadian programs, which support research, as well as awareness of testicular cancer, prostate cancer, and suicide prevention (the leading cause of death of men 15-44 years old).
Women – and men not in the mood to grow a ‘mo – can also help:
- Run, walk, cycle, swim or row
- Set a distance goal at the start of the month, and ask friends and family to pledge their support.
- Host or attend an event
- Try a quiz or sci-fi movie night, dinner party or a game – just gather your peeps, make some noise, and raise some money.
For more information, visit https://ca.movember.com.
- Prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed, for men
- Every day 11 Canadian men die of prostate cancer
- 2 in 5 Canadians will develop cancer in their lifetime
- On average, 8 men in Canada take their life
- Suicide is the leading cause of death of men 15-44 years old.
Your Hirsute Pursuit – Groth Tips
- Start clean-shaven on November 1
- Grow all month – just shave away the bits you don’t know what to grow
- Comb, then carefully trim errant or uneven hairs (dry not wet)
- Try a little wax to keep unruly strays at bay, or to curl up the ends for a dapper look
- To speed growth:
- Take your vitamins – A, B, C, E and biotin keep follicles strong from the inside out.
- Exfoliate your face to remove dead cells, then moisturize
- Get plenty of sleep and drink plenty of water.